Like so many of my fellow Kdrama lovers, I was introduced to the Kdrama world through Boys Over Flowers via Netflix(whose selection of Kdramas lately is looking rather dim, I must say). It has a bit of a strange place in my heart as I'm equal parts embarrassed for how the drama affected me and thankful for finding it and bringing me into the Kdrama world. Recently, I have had a lot of requests to meme Boys over Flowers and so I decided to rewatch it, if at just the first episode and record some of my thoughts. It has been over 5 years since I first watched this drama, so I thought time might provide a fun perspective. Without further ado...
1) Oh boy, Kdrama quality has really improved since 2009. I feel like I"m watching a high-quality YouTube video from 5 years ago or a soap opera.
2) I think the problem with this school is that the majority of the students are jerks and they are just using the F4 as an excuse to bully. They'd still bullies even if the F4 didn't have them do their bidding.
3) I always loved how Jan Di is wearing Doc Marten boots. She's got great taste in footwear for a scholarship kid.
4) Jan Di is kinda judgmental. I mean she hates the F4 before she even meets them. Can't she tell that the rest of the students are just as bad?
5) Jun Pyo's evil mom is actually SUPER pretty. I guess I always envisioned her as ugly because her personality is so ugly.
6) I would go insane living with Jan Di's family. They're so annoying-but at least they love her.
7) I think Jan Di has some anger issues.
8) One thing that's sticking out as far as beauty changes in Kdramas since then is that everyone looks a lot tanner than they do these days and also they are wearing a lot more makeup-blush especially. I think that in a Kdrama today, a character like Jan Di wouldn't wear any make-up.
9) Jan Di, how did you end up in the middle of the woods while looking for the swimming pool? It's an indoor pool, girl!
10) I understand that fashion trends change over time, but I will never understand Ji Hoo's butt ugly haircut in the first episode.
11) Why does Ji Hoo even stay friends with Jun Pyo? He is so clearly over all the petty crap and pranks and bullying and he just stands there rolling his eyes the whole time.
12) If the school has so much money, why don't the colors in their blazers and skirts match? Or even coordinate? That's really bothering me.
13) Kim Bum's smile is one of the most perfect things on the planet.
14) They keep hinting at the song 'Almost Paradise' with little riffs here and there and I don't appreciate the teasing. That's practically my favorite part of Boys over Flowers.
15) I never realized it before, but it seems almost like Ji Hoo wants Jan Di to put a stop to all Jun Pyo's foolishness. It's clear he's sick of it himself, but I guess he doesn't think he has what it takes to stop Jun Pyo unlike Jan Di.
16) I'm sorry, but Jan Di is not the brightest. She chased a text book on a string all the way out into the hallway. I mean, 5th graders don't even fall for that.
17) Yi Jung and Woo Bin have no problem laughing at Jun Pyo which shows they have less maliciousness than him. They just think everything is a game and they probably think of Jun Pyo as a spoiled baby.
18) There's no way Jan Di is a real swimmer. She has immense difficulty getting out of the pool on her own...and we all know what happens to her later (more than once I might add).
19) Uh-oh, I think I might have to rewatch the whole drama now
Well, there you have it friends- my genuine, honest, non-manufactured thoughts while re-watching the first episode of this classic.Let me know what you thought and what your reactions were while watching these scenes or what they are looking back on them now. Maybe my comments helped spark some of the thoughts you first had when you watched. Either way, I hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving holiday (for my U.S. friends, that is) and embrace the Kdrama, friends!